Bacon Cheddar Breakfast Cookies - Keto, Low Carb, Gluten Free
Easy grab 'n go breakfast or anytime snack. The protein pop will satisfy hunger and everything with bacon and cheese is, well, delicious. Substitutes as one Hello Healthy Box meal.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (I used pre-cooked bacon, for ease) - Can also substitute 4 oz ground sausage or plant based substitutes
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green peppers, chopped (or mix green and red peppers)
- 3/4 cups almond flour
- 2 TB Bob's Redmill Whey Protein Powder (this adds about 8g protein to meet Hello Healthy nutrition standards, but is not absolutely necessary to the recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat. Add butter to the paper to help brown bottom of cookies.
- Saute onions and peppers until translucent and starting to soften. Add bacon and cook until browned and the vegetables caramelize.. Take off heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, mix almond flour, salt, pepper, whey protein and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl beat eggs, then add 1/2 cup of the cheese. Combine the almond flour mixture with egg & cheese and fold until mixed.
- Add cooled bacon & veggie mixture. Mix to combine with a spoon or spatula. Let stand for a few minutes to allow flour to absorb some liquid.
- Place 12 spoonfuls of mixture onto the parchment paper as you would to make cookies. I like to use small ice cream scooper.
- Press down gently on each cookie to flatten a little. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until cookies begin to turn brown on edges and mixture doesn't spring when touched. Texture will be cake or biscuit- like.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
1 cookie = 1 serving. 167 cals / 9.9g fat / 5.0 g carbs / 0.4g fiber / 15 g protein
Think inside the box and say hello to healthy